Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Artist Block is Gone

Hello to any silent followers I may have. I sure hope someone is there.

I have been through an artist block. I think it is finally passing. The last week, at school, I have been making geometric balls out of 20 circles with equilateral triangles in the center of each for the fold lines. Sorry I didn’t take photos yet, but the instructions can be found here: http://www.squidoo.com/paperballornaments

The reason for making these came from a need of a math connection lesson. However, I got started and could not stop until I had made one from text (cut out of a discarded book); and four from maps (also from the discarded book); and one from recycled Christmas cards. This helped to break the block I was in. All of this seemingly non-purposeful work has objectives.
  • I will be leading a math class in making ornaments, while the math teacher leads the math part of the lesson.
  • Secondly, my after school Arts & Crafts club will make ornaments from recycled materials and this is just one example, with more to come.
  • We will be having a contest at school for the most creative or beautiful ornament which connects to Appalachian Culture or the art of Recycling.
I will attempt to make a mobile from my examples to hang in my office. Pictures will follow if I am successful.  

I never teach a lesson unless I have tried the process out myself. This is one of those worthy designs found in a book I ordered from www.amazon.com titled, Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book  by Jason Thompson. I simply LOVE this book! There will be more lessons taken from this book!!! Go to Amazon to see what’s inside.
Now I am off for a week and will be using my creativity to do some much needed home improvements. Stand by for reports. Lots of creative ideas are now flowing. FINALLY- Yes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment